In 2018, approximately 17% of Australian students were not retained from Year 10 to Year 12 and about 70,000 students did not attain a Year 12 certificate or equivalent qualification. The impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic increase the risk of more students disengaging from school and not completing their school education.
Recently, Evidence for Learning released an insights paper on identifying and taking action for students at risk of disengagement from school during the phases of the Covid-19 response. This webinar shares the evidence on predictors of disengagement from school and involves a panel discussion with six Victorian school leaders on how they took a preventative approach to disengagement during the 2020 school year.
We encourage school and system leaders from across Australia to join us in this conversation. Please submit any questions for the panel when you register for this webinar.
What you will learn:
- Explore the key findings from a systematic global literature review on the predictors of disengagement from school.
- Hear from six school leaders about the data and processes that their schools used during 2020 to identify students at risk of disengagement.
- Reflect with six school leaders on the supports provided to students during 2020 to take a preventative approach to disengagement.
This webinar will be facilitated by Danielle Toon in conversation with the following Victorian school leaders:
- Trish Bulluss, Assistant Principal, Seymour College (P‑12);
- Gail Hardman, Executive Principal, Seymour College (P‑12);
- Donna Geritz, Assistant Principal, Western Port Secondary College;
- Michael Rosenbrock, Assistant Principal, Wodonga Senior Secondary College;
- Frank Vetere, Executive Principal, Footscray High School; and
- Jodie Parsons, Assistant Principal, Sunshine College.
Please refer to our engagement in school page to:
- Download the 2020 Paper – Identifying and taking action for students at risk of disengagement from school during the phases of the COVID‑19 response
- Download the Literature Review – Insights for Early Action: Literature review (predictors of disengagement)
- Dowload the 2019 Paper – Insights for Early Action: Using data and evidence to identify students