The EEF’s rapid evidence assessment on school closures on attainment gap examines the potential impact of school closures on the attainment gap, based on a systematic search of 11 studies and supplemented by a subset of 9 studies from the existing evidence base.
Key findings and implications include:
- School closures are likely to reverse progress made to close the gap in the last decade since 2011.
- Supporting effective remote learning will mitigate the extent to which the gap widens.
- Sustained support will be needed to help disadvantaged pupils students catch up.
Reports and commentary
The following reports are free to access and download.
- Rapid evidence assessment summary (PDF 704 KB)
- EEF Impact of school closures on the attainment gap: Rapid Evidence Assessment (main report, PDF 768 KB)